Begin Rug Braiding
Learn Basic Rug Braiding Techniques to Create Your Own Braided Wool Projects
Welcome to Begin Rug Braiding!
Braided wool rugs were a staple in the colonial style home I grew up in. I may not have appreciated them at the time, but I have a newfound admiration now that I’ve been creating them for my own home. Traditionally made from old wool clothing or blankets, braided rugs, chair mats and other home decor have long-lasting beauty due to the remarkable qualities of wool.
In this introductory class, I'll teach you everything you need to know about rug braiding supplies and techniques used to create a braided wool project from start to finish. Each lesson is taught through video and step-by-step photo tutorials in my students-only online classroom.I'll demonstrate the basics for creating a 14" round braided mat. You’ll learn how to select materials, what tools to use and tips for preparing your fabrics.
I'll show you how to straight braid, how to add increases to shape curves and how to lace the braids together. Finally, you’ll learn finishing techniques for a professional looking piece.
Once you learn these basics, you can apply these techniques to trivets, mats, rugs and many other projects!
Enrolled Students Will Receive:
- A solid foundation of basic rug braiding skills while completing a round braided mat
- Tips for finding and deconstructing wool garments to upcycle into heirloom quality items
- Photo tutorials plus 8 video lessons showing step-by-step construction
- Forever access to a members only “classroom” to share ideas, ask questions and get tips from myself and other members
What You'll Need:
- Basic sewing and cutting tools: Needle, thread, fabric shears, rotary cutter/mat, ruler, pins, etc.
- 1 Yard coat weight woven wool fabric (or equivalent in upcycled garments)
- Braidkin Lacing Needle (or bent-tip tapestry needle) and lacing cord
Optional Beginner Bundles and Braiding Tools are available for purchase in my SHOP.
Let's Get Creative!
Hello! I'm Betz White, designer, author and lifelong maker. I love designing projects made with felt, fabric and fiber then sharing how to make them with others! My goal is to help ignite your creative spirit and have fun along the way.
You can find out more about me at www.betzwhite.com